Thursday, June 2, 2011

HOW TO DRAW A PIE CHART IN MS WORD PART 2

MICROSOFT WORD DRAWING PROJECT No. 18 PART 2


TITLE:   HOW TO DRAW A PIE CHART IN MS WORD

TYPE:   MATHEMATICS DIAGRAM

(A) Creating the guide                                                                  

To create a pie chart which uses percentage as the value, you need to divide it into sections and when all the sections are added, the whole value is 100%. I have a suggestion on how to make the division of sectors much easier and accurate as you can see in the diagrams below.

First, find the centre point of the circle and the divide the circle into 4 parts (25% each) or 8 parts (12.5% each). Use the Line tool to make the guide lines. These lines are not intended to be visible and therefore they have to be deleted afterwards.

 

(B) Creating the pie chart
I used only three tools to create the pie chart. The Oval tool was used to create the circular shape and the Freeform line tool to create the sectors. Finally, I used the Donut shape to mask or conceal the areas outside the circle.


I discovered the method to mask unwanted areas from view when I wrote my first computer graphics book about the subject of drawing pictures with MS Word in 2002. Without the masking technique, the pie chart created in this manner could not be done. I find this method very useful and I have created many types of drawing with it.
Here is the completed diagram and readers can also experiment with other methods. After all, this is only one of the many methods.



No comments: